by: Don G / @lbdStreetFashion
What is a successful man? The concept of the term ‘successful’ remains a matter of personal judgment. The definition of success changes so vastly from person to person, and doesn’t have to be contingent on what you do work-wise, either. In today’s world, happiness has become conflated with fiscal wealth, the layers of that mindset are shedding and people are doing things for their own self-worth and happiness. Some men even consider being successful not about a paycheck or their bottom line at all.
I don’t consider it boasting to consider myself a successful person. I do quite well financially, but that has nothing to do with how I determine success for myself. I don’t measure my success in terms of money.
Moreover, it can be very hard navigating the idea of success when constantly comparing oneself to the seemingly endless stream of young tech industry millionaire and billionaire team owners that pop up in the news each day.
Let’s first break down what a successful man is. To do this, we need to discuss what the difference between success and being successful in. Next, we will explore traits of a successful man, and end by keeping things authentic from skin to bone by reviewing a list of habits used daily to obtain my success.
Definition of Success and Being Successful
How do you define success? Have you ever asked yourself this question before? Simply put, success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose, or the attainment of popularity or profit. While being successful means accomplishing an aim or purpose, or achieving popularity, profit, or distinction. Generally, a man is considered successful, or a success when he achieves his desired aims or attains prosperity.
When we talk about a successful person, we’re typically talking about someone who’s got billions in their bank account, someone who’s authored multiple bestsellers, or maybe someone who’s in charge of an entire nation.
But if you ask people who fit the conventional definition of a successful individual, many will tell you that those achievements aren’t what make them feel accomplished.
Traits of A Successful Man
We live in a world that is in a constant state of change, yet successful men share traits that are as timeless as they are evident. From Andrew Carnegie and Warren Buffet, to Steve Jobs and Tiger Woods, these men possess certain traits and habits that set them above the rest. History is not kind to men who fail, but to those who set themselves apart and do not compromise their values become titans of industry, masters of finance, world class artists. Characteristics that make men successful should not be a one-way street, but a constant journey.
Habits of A Successful Man
Men don’t become highly successful by accident. Successful men go the extra mile in their bid to be different. They set goals outside of what’s considered normal for everyone else and then work hard to achieve them. So by now I bet you are wondering, how does a man achieve true success? What habits do these kind of men have that help them perform in a highly successful way? How can I get the bare bones breakdown on how to get down on the get down?
Truth be told, I can’t speak for every man, only from what I have picked up along the way that’s helped me. Here are some of the habits I incorporate in my daily routine to help me become more successful in life:
Keep Your Commitments
- Focus on keeping commitments. If you find yourself fully committed, motivation will follow. You are responsible for everything that happens to you and in your life. Everything… Keep your commitments. It is your word, your honor. When you do keep your commitments others will not see you as a trustworthy person and will not aid you when you need it. Why should they expose themselves to getting burned by someone who’s promises can’t be taken seriously?
Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable
- Stop being nice to yourself. Get out there, challenge yourself, do something that you want to do even if you are afraid. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. As you begin to challenge yourself with new challenges you force yourself to grow. Once you become comfortable you begin to succumb to mental atrophy. Anything that in nature that is not growing begins to die. By forcing yourself into uncomfortable situations you are literally prolonging your growth and by extension, your life.
Read About Other Successful Men
- In Mentalfloss.com’s article “Who Reads Book,” they mentioned that: One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. How does anyone expect to improve their situation if they make no effort to educate themselves… Seek knowledge, not results. Read about men that are in the field that you want to be in or have done the things you want to be successful at doing. The focus on their journey and you will begin to pick up life nuggets about what you can improve in your life along the way to reaching your success goals.
- Make your success a journey of fun. You will lose perspective when you take things too seriously. There are times for seriousness, but that time is not all the time. Learn to laugh at yourself and to find fun in what you do. It is one of the secrets to obtaining success.
- Use your imagination. You can always find something to learn even from the smallest things. Nature is a great teacher. Take time to stop what you are doing and simply look around you. Investigate things that you find that sparks curiosity. I make a habit to ask myself “how can I” instead of “I can.” “How can I” gets me thinking creatively. Don’t wait for someone else to solve your problems. Take responsibility the initiative to figure things out for your self.
Filter Your Mental Consumption
- Get rid of stagnating thoughts that enter your mind. Thoughts influence feelings and feelings determine how you view the world around you. If you are constantly consuming poor quality things your mind is so powerful that it will make what you consume real. Instead focus on consuming thing that increase your chances for success. Incorporate visualization techniques into your daily reflection time. I use a vision board to visualize my dreams and goals and remind me of what success looks like for me. I also read at least two books each week, cut out watching all sports and do not consume negative content.
- One of the quickest ways to fall off track is by not taking care of your health. Your body is 70% water so when you don’t hydrate as much as you need, your body compensates by filtering out urine and ammonia in an effort to balance and regulate itself. If your body is not able to alkalize itself properly from the minerals consumed from your water intake your liver, gallbladder, and digestive system may pay the price. Drinking adequate amounts of water daily is one of the most healthy habits that you can create for yourself.
Reduce Unnecessary Distractions
- Get rid of unnecessary distractions. Learn to separate what’s important to focus one’s attention on and what’s not. I won’t tell you to write down some silly list of time-wasters because that in itself is a time-waster. Instead I charge you to police your own mind. Seek out opportunities to practice good habits by removing everything, including family members if they create unnecessary distractions for you. Hold yourself accountable.
Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan
- Always have a plan. Know your three steps forward. You do not need more. Fill out your weekly calendar, noting when you will do what and how. When-what-how is important to schedule. Review how each day went by what you learned and revise what you could improve.
- Center yourself for the day ahead by meditating daily. It’s easy to burn out when you are busy putting out fires all day. Start to recognize signs of tiredness and take time to rest. Your body and mind rest when you schedule relaxation and fun time into your weekly calendar. You can follow guided meditation, take deep breaths to a rhythmic count, chant mantras, close your eyes, or focus on something for five minutes. I use meditation apps such as: Ananda Living in Love by Deepak Chopra, Calm.com by Alex Tew and Michael Acton Smith, and Relax Melodies by Ipnos Soft.
Becoming successful is a personal journey that takes diligence, as you slowly what it takes for you arrive at a level of success you feel comfortable obtaining. Then again, I take comfort in being uncomfortable, but that’s a discussion for another time…
Here’s a homework assignment, I would like for you to go back and remember what your idea of a successful man is and then tell me your thoughts. I will start things off. I believe that a successful man is someone who is happy with the direction his life is going. In his public life, he’s fulfilled in his work, in his ability to provide income, and in how he is viewed by others. He has developed his personal life, which includes the relationships with his immediate and extended family, his civic family, and his friends to a point where interactions with them bring him pleasure and love. In his private life—he views himself successful on the inside by his connection to his spiritual life, his value, and his responsibility to his creator.